Reporting to: Dean of Business Studies
Purpose of Position:
The key functions of this position are to teach Accounting on a range of Collage programmes, develop curriculum and programme related materials and perform research associated with the College's programmes at undergraduate and post graduate level .
Dean of School of Business
Vice Deans for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Studies
Faculty in the School
- Lecture to students within the School of Business in the area of Accounting to include postgraduate, undergraduate, certificate and diploma.
- To design, undertake and mark all assessment related to teaching.
- To interact with colleagues, both internal and external, in relation to assessment moderation.
- To provide feedback on project work, research work and dissertations both orally and in writing when required.
- Provide a professional support to students in their learning activities.
- Supervise research projects.
- Commit to ongoing professional development.
- Participate in committees appropriate to courses.
- Undertake the duties of the role in accordance with the requirements of the College Quality Assurance
- Liaise with library regarding reading material and booklists etc.
- Develop new and existing course material, using new learning technology and delivery mechanisms as required.
- Assist in the drafting of submission documents, liasise with validating bodies such as QQI and Accountancy bodies to promote, implement and review programmes.
- Assist in the development of existing programmes and new programmes. This may involve drafting submission documents, liaison with the validating bodies, promoting, implementing and reviewing programmes.
- Preparation for teaching an all other work related activity including tutorials associated with lectures.
- Carry out scholarly and/or industry research relevant to College activities including regular publications and presentations.
An in-depth knowledge of accounting theory and practice.
A PhD is highly desirable however a commitment to the completion of such a qualification will be considered.
Evidence of lecturing experience at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels desirable.
Industry experience desirable.
Excellent communication skills, time management and PC skills.
Self- starter with the ability to work independently.
- Seek to promote and engage with external Accountancy Bodies with regard to exemptions from professional examinations for students and ongoing professional development.
- Assist in the development of the School of Business.
- Act as programme director for undergraduate or postgraduate programmes in consultation with the Dean of the School of Business.
- Participate in College meetings as appropriate.
- Contribute to academic and disciplinary committees as requested.
- Be available to students outside of class contact hours for guidance and support.
- Represent the college at functions and promotional events such as exhibitions, school visits, open days, recruitment evenings and other external events.
- Act as a personal tutor.
- Work on short courses, training and consultancy.
Qualifications & Experience Required:
Salary: Lecturer I €39,690 - €49,646 or Lecturer II €51,859 - €85,118 depending on experience
Annual Leave: 31 days
Contract Type: Permanent
The successful applicant will be subject to Garda Vetting and must not have any convictions under the Sex Offenders Act 2001.
Apply: Applicants are asked to send their CV and a cover letter for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm Friday 15th August 2014.
Note: The functions and responsibilities assigned to the role are based on the current stated role and objectives of the college. These functions and responsibilities may alter in line with any change in the role and objectives of NCI.
Equal Opportunities Policy: National College of Ireland is an equal opportunities employer.