Position: Research Assistant / Early Career Researcher (1 position, up to 36 month fixed term contract)
Job Code: NCI0809
Reporting to: Principal Investigator.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This is an attractive opportunity for an innovative researcher to contribute to the SPuMoNI project, based at the Cloud Competency Centre (School of Computing) of National College of Ireland - IFSC campus in the scenic Dublin Docklands (http://www.ncirl.ie/cloud). SPuMoNI is a research project funded by the European Commission through CHIST-ERA (http://www.chistera.eu/) within the "Big data and process modelling for smart industry" strand. SPuMoNI involves five industrial and academic partners from four countries Italy, Ireland, Greece, and Spain.
The main aim of the post is to employ cloud infrastructure and cloud-related services, and distributed ledger technology to design, develop, and empirically evaluate a software framework/middleware for traceable and reproducible data modelling, quality assurance and analytics (e.g. identify behaviour patterns of data probability distributions over time, identify outliers, etc.).
• Principal Investigators.
• Head of Cloud Competency Centre.
• Dean of School of Computing.
• Vice Dean of Postgraduate Programmes and Research.
• School of Computing staff.
• Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies.
• Develop and carry out a work programme aligned with the objectives of the SPuMoNI project.
• Contribute fully to developing and enhancing the research profile of School of Computing and, in general, of National College of Ireland, including establishing a track record of high quality publications.
• Attend and participate in suitable SPuMoNI activities at home and abroad in subject-related areas.
• Undertake any other reasonable duties that may be requested by the SPuMoNI Principal investigator and the Dean of School of Computing.
• Engage proactively in writing research proposals for future funding.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• MSc by Research in Computer Science. PhD (or close to completion) will be a plus.
• Evidence of publication record in high-impact journals and selective conferences in cloud computing, high-performance computing, machine learning, and/or data analytics,.
• Strong coding skills in Python/Java/C/C++ and solid working knowledge and experience of Linux internals, debugging and software engineering principles.
• Possess self-motivation, attention to detail and the ability to thrive in an international team environment.
• Develop productive working relationships with other members of staff at NCI.
• Balance the pressures of research and administrative demands and competing deadlines within the project.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
SALARY: €24,360 - €36,542 PER ANNUM (RESEARCHER ASSISTANT SCALE).
ANNUAL LEAVE: 31 DAYS.
CONTRACT: 36 MONTHS (TO START ON 1 APRIL 2019 OR IMMEDIATELY THEREAFTER).
To apply, please e-mail your cover letter and CV in PDF format Both, quoting reference number NCI0809 and job title to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday 22nd February 2019. INTERVIEWS ARE EXPECTED TO BE CONDUCTED ON 5TH AND 6TH OF MARCH 2019. Successful candidate is expected to start in 1st April 2019 or immediately thereafter).
NOTE: THE FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES ASSIGNED TO THE RESEARCH ASSISTANT ARE BASED ON THE CURRENT STATED ROLE AND OBJECTIVES OF THE COLLEGE. THESE FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES MAY ALTER IN LINE WITH ANY CHANGE IN THE ROLE AND OBJECTIVES OF THE NCI.