Student Support Teachers (SST)
Director of Learning and Teaching
Educational Engagement & Progression Officer
Purpose of Position:
Employed on a casual basis by the Learning and Teaching Centre at the National College of Ireland, the role of as SST is as follows:
Assist students in academic achievement through the provision of individualised and group learning support. SSTs are a supplement to pre-existing teaching and tutoring provided by the Schools of the National College of Ireland.
SSTs will have a background, knowledge or specialism in one or more of the following areas.
- Accounting / Auditing / Tax
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Learning & Academic Writing Skills
- Digital Literacy Skills
The successful candidate/s will be available for 1-3 hours per week to provide individualised and group support to all students in NCI. Scheduling of these sessions will take place in collaboration with the SST Coordinator.
- Colleagues in Learning and Teaching
- Programme Coordinators.
- Teaching Staff
- Design and deliver individualised and group learning support to a broad range of learners, focused on a particular specialism (listed above).
- Use digital technology tools to facilitate learning (e.g. web 2.0, learning management systems, livestreaming and online classrooms etc.).
- Work closely with other SSTs, the Learning & Teaching team and NCI teaching faculty in the planning and delivery of the service.
- Take a proactive approach to the SST role, identifying key academic support issues relevant to the particular specialism/s.
- Maintain accurate files to track the progress of each student to statistically analyse the performance of the service
- Assist with additional duties, as assigned.
- Inform SST Coordinator at least 24 hours in advance if you are not able to keep your schedule or need to change your semester schedule.
- Make regular reports to the College on the utilisation and delivery of service.
- Honours degree (minimum 2.1) in an area related to the specialisms listed above.
- Expert knowledge of the relevant specialism’s.
- Experience of working with students to develop effective learning strategies.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to facilitate learning among a diverse cohort of learners.
- Flexible approach to work – including evenings and weekends.
- Successfully complete induction training as provided by the National College of Ireland.
Hourly rate: €37.97 per hour
Contract: Fixed-term and part-time.
Application Process: To apply, please e-mail your cover letter and CV, quoting reference number: NCI0697 to: email@example.com by 5pm, Friday 25th November 2016.
The functions and responsibilities assigned to Student Support Teachers are based on the current stated role and objectives of the College. These functions and responsibilities may alter in line with any change in the role and objectives of the College.
National College of Ireland is an equal opportunities employer