Key Responsibilities at NCI
Module leader – Health Psychology (part-time and full-time students)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, St. Louis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, St. Louis, Missouri
- Ph.D. in Counselling Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
- Cancer Control and Prevention Research Fellow, National Cancer Institute, United States
- B.A. in Sociology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
Previous Academic Appointments
- Associate Professor, Webster University, Department of Psychology / Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Washington University School of Medicine/Siteman Cancer Center
- Psycho-oncology and cancer survivorship; Health and well-being of healthcare professionals; LGBTQ+ well-being; Acceptance and Commitment Therapy; Clinical training and supervision; Study abroad; International psychology; Ethics; Qualitative research
- Leif J. Sverdrup Global Teaching Fellowship, Webster University Vienna (2019)
- Faculty Advisor of the Year, Webster University (2018)
- Leif J. Sverdrup Global Teaching Fellowship, Webster University Thailand (2017)
- Best Case Study Poster Award, American Psychosocial Oncology Society (2014)
- Outstanding Counselling Psychology Graduate Student Award, Virginia Commonwealth University (2008)
Peer-Reviewed Publications (select)
* Denotes a student co-author
- Raque, T. L., Kracen, A., Owen, J., Scout, NFN, Muenks, E. M., & Andrews, C. (in press). Integrating Multicultural Orientation into cancer care for sexual and gender minorities: A new paradigm for leadership, practice, and research. Annals of LGBTQ Public and Population Health.
- Taylor, N., & Kracen, A. (2021). Current practices in clinical supervision in psycho-oncology. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology Research and Practice. 3:1(e044).
- Kracen, A., Taylor, N., Raque-Bogdan, T., Rowold, H.*, Nelson, A.*, Michl, T.*, Ross, K.*, Engblom, H.*, Joseph, E.* (2020). Sustaining factors, rewards, and challenges for psychologists providing clinical care in psycho-oncology. Psycho-Oncology. 2020;1–7.
- Michl, T.*, Pegg, K.*, & Kracen, A. (2019). Gender x culture: The study abroad experiences of transgender and gender expansive students. Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad, Vol. XXXI (2), 32-50.
- Raque-Bogdan, T., Kracen, A., Taylor, N., Engblom, H. *, Joseph, E. *, Ross, K. *, Michl, T.*, Nelson, A.*, & Rowold, H.* (2019). You can only go full speed for so long: The career development of psychologists working in psychosocial oncology settings. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings. 26(4), 383-394.
- Deshields, T., Kracen, A., Nanna, S., & Kimbro, L. (2016). Psychosocial staffing at National Comprehensive Cancer Network member institutions: Data from leading cancer centers. Psycho-Oncology.
- Dua, P., Heiland, M., Kracen, A., & Deshields, T. (2015). Cancer-related hair loss: A selective review of the alopecia research literature. Psycho-Oncology.
- Deshields, T., Heiland, M., Kracen, A., & Dua, P. (2015). Resilience in adults with cancer: Development of a conceptual model. Psycho-Oncology.
- Kracen, A., & Wallace, I. (Eds.). (2008). Applying to graduate school in psychology: Advice from successful students and prominent psychologists. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Invited Talks (select)
- The Best of Times, The Worst of Times? Occupational Rewards and Challenges in Psycho-Oncology to Enhance Workplace Practices, University of North Carolina Comprehensive Cancer Support Program and Palliative Care Program. Chapel Hill, NC (virtual), August 2021
- Here Comes the Sun: Shining Light on Well-Being & Fulfillment, Massey Cancer Psychology Services, Massey University, Palmerstown North, New Zealand (virtual), February 2021
- Racial Microaggressions: Learning Intervention Strategies for the Classroom, Reflective Teaching Community, Faculty Development Center, Webster University, St. Louis (virtual), December 2020
- All I Needed to Know, I Learned from The Beatles: An Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Approach to Enhance Self Care. Nationally broadcast 90-minute webinar for the American Psychosocial Oncology Society, October 2019
- Pronouns in the Classroom: Navigating Trans* and Non-binary Student Needs, Teaching Festival, Webster University, February 2019
- Healthcare as a Human Right: Learning from our Cuban colleagues, Psychology Training Seminar, St. Louis VA Healthcare System, St. Louis, January 2019
- A Call to Arms: Physician Wellness, Medical Staff Association, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, November 2018
- Mindful Medicine and Compassionate Care: Antidotes to Burnout, School of Medicine, Washington University, St. Louis, September 2018