Telephone: +353 1 4498529
Post-nominal Letters: PhD (Edinburgh), MSc, PgDip, BSc,
FRSA, FHEA, MBCS, MACM, MIEEE
Key Responsibilities at NCI
- Liaise and network with a range of relevant stakeholders in Cloud Computing including ICT multinationals, high potential SMEs, Colleagues, Press, and Professional Bodies.
- Oversee the postgraduate programmes affiliated to the Cloud Competency Centre.
- Pursue funded academic and research activities, including knowledge transfer, in line with the core interests of the School.
- Participate on College-wide activities and committees ensuring that School colleagues are updated on all relevant issues.
- Establish and maintain relevant professional and industrial links in Ireland and abroad.
- Lecturer in Parallel Computing (grade 8), Robert Gordon University, UK [2009-12].
- Research Fellow, University of Edinburgh, UK [2006-09].
- Part-time Associate Professor, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, México [1994-98].
- HPC Systems Engineering and Product Marketing (different posts), Sun Microsystems [1997-2003].
- HPC Systems Engineering, Silicon Graphics [1995-97]
- Systems Engineering, Alpha Microsystems [1991-92]
Research entails the deployment of structured parallelism approaches in heterogeneous computing systems such as clouds, grids, and clusters. Dr Gonzalez-Velez also has a strong background in high-performance and enterprise computing, nurtured both in the academy and in industry. This diverse experience has led to aspirations of employing generic parallel patterns (skeletons) to the solution of domain-specific problems in computational science to develop a tight integration between specific computational problems, particularly in the biomedical and physical sciences, and their specific patterns of computation and communication.
- European Commission: 'ParaPhrase: Parallel Patterns for Adaptive Heterogeneous Multicore Systems' Principal investigator. 36-month FP7 STREP, European Commission. £3.5M (total) [10/2011-9/2014].
- Garba M, González-Vélez H. Asymptotic Peak utilisation in Heterogeneous Parallel CPU/GPU Pipelines: a Decentralised Queue Monitoring Strategy. Parallel Processing Letters.2012; 22(2). DOI: 10.1142/S0129626412400087
- Bouvry P, González-Vélez H, Kolodziej J, editors. Intelligent Decision Systems in Large-Scale Distributed Environments. vol. 362 of Studies in Computational Intelligence. 1st ed. Springer-Verlag; 2011. ISBN: 978-364221270-3
- González-Vélez H, Leyton M. A Survey of Algorithmic Skeleton Frameworks: High-Level Structured Parallel Programming Enablers. Software: Practice and Experience. 2010 Dec;40(12):1135-1160. DOI: 10.1002/spe.1026
- González-Vélez H, Cole M. Adaptive structured parallelism for distributed heterogeneous architectures: A methodological approach with pipelines and farms. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience. 2010 Oct;22(15):2073-2094. DOI: 10.1002/cpe.1549
- González-Vélez H, Cole M. Adaptive Statistical Scheduling of Divisible Workloads in Heterogeneous Systems. Journal of Scheduling. 2010 Aug;13(4):427-441. DOI: 10.1007/s10951-009-0138-4
- González-Vélez H et al. HealthAgents: Distributed Multi-Agent Brain Tumor Diagnosis and Prognosis. Applied Intelligence 2009 Jun;30(3):191-202. DOI: 10.1007/s10489-007-0085-8
Complete List (of publications)
i) Repository: ACM Google Scholar DBLP
ii) Bibliometrics: Scopus profile Elsevier ResearcherID Thomson