- It is not a good idea to send the same generic CV to every job you apply for. Targeting your CV to the job spec is critical. No two jobs are the same and no two CVs should be identical either. Use the profile section of your CV to list the required skills and experience and provide practical examples to support your statements.
- Prioritise relevant information. Considering your CV is 2 pages long, you want to ensure that relevant skills, experience and education appear on 1st page of your CV. This approach will help you define the order of sections on a CV.
Save your CV file as something meaningful so for example “Anna Annaville Final year Business student seeking graduate HR Opportunity” rather than “My CV”, “New CV” etc
CV templates and resources
You can view and download
additional resources and CV templates for your personal development.
Immediate CV Feedback:
We have invested in Career Set a platform that uses AI to assess your CV and gives you immediate feedback to help you improve it. Upload your CV in PDF and Career Set will score your CV and give you targeted suggestions to help you improve it.
How to use CareerSet
- Log in to careerset.com/NCIRL using your NCI student email address.
- You will receive an authenticator link via email and clicking on this link will log you in for one session.
- There are 3 offerings all of which require you to upload a pdf version of your CV or cover letter.
- Score My CV: AI-powered CV scoring and personalised feedback related to Impact, Presentation and Style.
- Target My CV: Actionable feedback on tailoring a CV to a specific job description, based on keywords and skills.
- Cover Letter Feedback: Professional cover letter feedback and tailoring advice, including soft skills.
- Within 30 seconds you will receive individual feedback on the left hand side of the screen.
- You can access CareerSet CV checker 24/7 365 days a year from any location and you can re-submit your CV as many times as you like to keep improving your CV score.
- We recommend that you achieve a score of 70-75 and then show your CV to your Careers Advisor for further in person feedback.
- One minute video explainer: https://vimeo.com/640045738
CareerSet is only available to current students using their NCIRL email address.
Remember: we can help!
The NCI Careers team provides specialist support in reviewing and providing feedback on your CV. Once you have completed your CV, submitted it to Career Set for review and made re necessary changes then please do book an appointment with your Careers Advisor.
CV tips and advice, NCI Career Office - 7.39 minutes
Guidewire and AOL describe what they want to see on a technical CV – 1.22 minutes
Tips for effective graduate CVs Hedgeserv, Engineers Ireland, Jameson, Musgrave, CPL, Citi - 2.11 minutes