Exam regulations at NCI
The following documents and guidelines outline the current exam regulations at NCI. If you have any queries regarding Exam regulations, please contact the Examinations Office by submitting a request on the NCI Support Hub.
What Can I Bring Into The Exam Hall?
Use of English Translation Dictionary in Exams
NCI Examination Rules and Regulation Policy for All Candidates
Pass by Compensation Rule
- The pass by compensation range is 35% - 39%.
- The pass by compensation rule can only be applied to a full set of results as approved by the Board of Examiners.
- The rule can only be applied if you have attempted all modules in the stage and it is your first sitting. Therefore it cannot be applied in a sitting of repeat attempts at passing a module.
- The rule WILL NOT apply if ANY of your individual module results is a mark below 35%. In this case all module results below 40% must be repeated.
- The rule can only be applied to a maximum of 20 credits out of a 60 credit stage.
- It is not possible to pass by compensation for Dissertation / Research Project.
- The rule can only be applied if you will PASS the stage overall.
- The total number of marks, above the pass mark (40%), gained in the modules passed must at least equal double the difference of the marks being considered for compensation. e.g. one mark of 36% and one mark of 37% would mean you have a deficiency of 7 marks. Therefore, in order to be considered for compensation you would need a total of 14 marks above the pass mark in the aggregate of the other passed modules.
- NB: BA (Hons) in Psychology – Please note there is no pass by compensation for the BA (Hons) in Psychology Stage 3 and Stage 2 programmes.
Repeating In Your Award Year
Please note that if you fail a module in your award year and have to repeat it, your overall will be capped at a PASS. This does not apply if your record falls under COVID specific regulations regarding repeating as a first sitting. The Examinations Office will review and apply the regulations to each record accordingly.