Position: Information Governance
and Data Protection Officer
Job Code: NCI 0808
Reporting to: Reporting to the President for the Data Protection responsibilities, and to the Director of Finance for other responsibilities
Purpose of Position: To ensure NCI’s significant information governance obligations are met, within deadlines and to appropriate standards. This role encompasses:
(a) Data Protection Officer (DPO) for NCI;
(b) Freedom of Information for NCI; and
(c) Records management processes and procedures.
• Director of Finance
• Heads of function / managers
(a) Data Protection responsibilities: The role of the DPO will include the following:
• involvement in all issues relating to the protection of personal data within NCI;
• monitoring compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR);
• advising NCI on carrying out data protection impact assessments (DPIAs) as required by the GDPR;
• informing and advising NCI staff who carry out data processing of their obligations under the GDPR, and delivering appropriate data protection/privacy training to staff and providing them with relevant policy and procedure updates;
• acting as the contact point for the Data Protection Commission;
• dealing with data protection breaches in accordance with GDPR;
• acting as the contact point for data subjects of NCI in relation to all issues regarding the processing of their personal data and to the exercise of their rights under the GDPR including facilitating and managing Subject Access Requests (SARs);
• assisting with or maintaining records of processing operations under NCI’s responsibility and/or categories of processing operations carried out.
(b) Freedom of Information responsibilities:
• monitoring compliance with the Freedom of Information Act 2014;
• acting as contact point for the Department of Public Expenditure & Reform and Department of Education and Skills
• acting as the contact point for FOI requests, and ensuring that all requests are processed in a timely manner and in compliance with regulations;
• advising NCI staff in relation to NCI’s obligations under FOI, organising appropriate training to staff and providing them with relevant policy and procedure updates.
(c) Records management processes and procedures:
• managing, developing, and championing adherence to NCI’s records management policy and delivering appropriate training and relevant updates to staff;
• liaising with Designated Records Officers in each School/Department to ensure appropriate structures and resources are in place at local level in order to ensure awareness of and compliance with policy.
The person appointed will be a certified data protection practitioner with significant experience in a compliance and records management in a customer service environment. The candidate will be a self-starter capable of working on their own initiative, prioritising conflicting work demands, and demonstrate strong organisational skills in guiding and advising on compliance related activities.
Contract: Permanent Contract
Salary band: Senior Specialist (Salary Band: €40,200 - €60,300)
(Dependent on experience)
Annual Leave: 24 Days
Hours: Full time (35 Hours per week)
The successful applicant will be subject to Garda Vetting and must not have any convictions under the Sex Offenders Act 2001.
Application Process: To apply, please e-mail your cover letter and CV, quoting reference number: NCI 0808 and job title to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Monday 4th March 2019. National College of Ireland’s mission is to widen participation in higher education and unlock each student's potential. The College offers students the opportunity to acquire the skills and self-confidence to change their lives, contribute to a knowledge based economy and become responsible, active citizens.
The functions and responsibilities assigned to the Information Governance and Data Protection officer, are based on the current stated role and objectives of the College. These functions and responsibilities may alter in line with any change in the role and objectives of the NCI.
National College of Ireland is an equal opportunities employer