Position: Lecturer in Education – Learning & Teaching
Job code: NCI0720
Reporting to: Director of Learning & Teaching and Education Programmes
Purpose of Position:
The key functions of this position are to teach on a range of College programmes, develop curriculum and programme related materials and perform research associated with the College’s programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Specifically, the post will involve faculty responsibilities associated with the MA/Post-Graduate Diploma in Learning and Teaching (Further Education Track and the Adult & Workforce Education track) as well as the BA in Adult & Workforce Education (AWE) and associated qualifications. The role will involve academic development, leadership and Programme Director responsibilities. The role will therefore involve building relationships and collaboration with the Adult Education, Workforce Education and Further Education sectors.
The Learning & Teaching and Education team are also responsible for college-wide Learning, Teaching and Assessment strategies and the development of policy and practice in these areas. The role involves responsibilities in this area especially in relation to the professional development of staff and faculty on the scholarship and practice of learning, teaching and assessment in higher education.
- Director of Learning & Teaching and Education Programmes
- Vice-President of NCI
- Faculty in Schools of Computing and Business
- Associate Faculty
- Programme Co-ordinators
- Networks of practitioners in Further Education and Adult Education, and Workforce Education sectors
- Lecture to students on within Education/Learning and Teaching programmes
- Lecture on certificate, diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes on a broad range of subjects.
- Design and deliver curriculum and education interventions.
- Provide professional support to students in their learning activities.
- Facilitate tutorials associated with lectures.
- Participate in programme committees as appropriate.
- Engage in research consultancy and development work as appropriate.
- Preparation for teaching and all other work related activity.
- Provide such information as may be required by the College related to the activities of the role.
- Engage in the assessment processes of the College by setting and marking examinations and assignments and attending assessment boards and liaising with external examiners.
- Set, correct and give written feedback on project work, research work and dissertation.
- Undertake the duties of the role in accordance with the requirements of the College Quality Assurance arrangement.
- Facilitate skills development workshops.
- Liaise with library re: reading materials, booklists, etc.
- Develop new and existing course material, using new learning technology and delivery mechanisms in particular.
- Assist in the drafting of submission documents, liaise with the validating bodies, promote, implement and review programmes.
Assist in the development of existing programmes and new programmes. This may involve drafting submission documents, liaison with the validating bodies, promoting, implementing and reviewing programmes.
- Carry out research relevant to College activities including regular publications and presentations in peer reviewed journals and presentations at both national and international conferences.
- Assist in the development of Education and potentially and any new school or faculty structures as part of college strategy
- Act as programme director for undergraduate or postgraduate programmes in consultation with the Director of Learning & Teaching
- Participate in College meetings as appropriate
- Contribute to academic and disciplinary committees as requested
- Be available to students outside of class contact hours for guidance and support.
- Represent the college at functions and promotional events such as exhibitions, school visits, open days, recruitment evenings and other external events.
- Act as a personal tutor and mentor.
- Work on short courses, training and consultancy.
- Visit students and employers as part of the college’s industrial placement programme.
The appointee will be expert in Learning & Teaching in Adult Education, Further Education or Workforce Education contexts or a combination of these, with experience and expertise, including higher education teaching and research experience, in an appropriate combination of scholarship of teaching & Learning disciplines.
Qualifications & Experience Required:
- Excellent teaching skills
- An active research track in the scholarship of teaching & learning
- PhD qualification in Education or connected discipline is essential
- Experience of teaching in Higher Education or Further Education
- Knowledge of the Further Education/Workforce Education sector policies and practice
- Ability to prepare course material and programme documentation
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate
- Adherence to professional standards of teaching
- Excellent communication skills, time management and PC skills
- He/she must be a self- starter with the ability to work independently.
Contract: Indefinite duration
Salary: Depending on experience, the appointment will be to Academic I Salary Band (€36,180 – €54,270) to Academic II Salary Band (€52,260 - €78,390)
Annual Leave: 34 days
Application Process: To apply, please e-mail your cover letter and CV, quoting reference number and title of position to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Monday 22nd May 2017.
For informal queries, please contact, Dr Leo Casey, Director of Learning & Teaching and Education Programmes, E- mail: email@example.com
Further details of our Education programmes are to be found at www.ncirl.ie
National College of Ireland’s mission is to change lives through education.
The functions and responsibilities assigned to the Lecturer are based on the current stated role and objectives of the College. These functions and responsibilities may alter in line with any change in the role and objectives of NCI
Equal Opportunities Policy:
National College of Ireland is an equal opportunities employer.