Mentoring provides you with an opportunity to contribute to the career development of a business or computing student by sharing the knowledge you have acquired throughout your career.
Your involvement will benefit you as well, as the project gives you the opportunity to:
- Establish/re-establish a link with the NCI community
- Network with other mentors/colleagues from your industry sector
- Develop and practice coaching skills
- Gain an insight of the issues facing graduates as they leave university to embark on their career
- Give you a sense of how new students and graduates are approaching the jobs market
- Gain satisfaction from helping another individual to grow in confidence and implement feedback into real life scenarios
- Reflect on your own experiences from a new perspective
- Keep up to date with academic developments in your line of business
- Develop your understanding of higher education today and the expectations of students coming into the workplace
- The opportunity to screen potential employees/interns
- The opportunity to introduce a graduate to your network
Will students think I can secure them a job at my organisation?
No. Students are aware that they are not to use the Alumni Mentor Programme to solicit employment opportunities from mentors. Although internships and informational interviews are possible outcomes of a mentoring relationship, employment will not be expected. The purpose of the mentoring programme is merely to facilitate communication between you, the mentor and students regarding your career field.
What do our students say about the programme?
- "I landed a job that I love due to the coaching and mentoring."
- "I have become more confident to me on camera. I learned new things about the industry and was able to identify what employers look for when interviewing or looking at CVs."
- "I have more in-depth knowledge of my field."
- "I became more confident in myself which in return got me a job."
- "Feeling like my dream career is a lot more realistic."
- "I have more confidence in applying for future roles within HR. I am also better equipped for an interview situation. I feel I have more knowledge and awareness of various responsibilities within a HR job role."