Position: Vice-Dean, Postgraduate Studies & Research – School of Business
Reporting to: Dean of the School of Business
Job Code: NCI0732
Purpose of Position:
This is a senior academic appointment. The Vice-Dean, Postgraduate Studies & Research will be responsible for the management of all full-time and part-time postgraduate programmes and supporting the implementation of the College Research strategy within their School.
- Dean of School;
- Vice President Academic & Research;
- Vice Dean Undergraduate Studies
- Director QASS;
- Director of Learning & Teaching
- Director of International Development
- Director of Marketing
- Head of Professional Education & Training
- Faculty attached to Postgraduate Programmes
- School Administration Office
Academic Oversight and Planning:
- Undertake management responsibilities (as agreed with the Dean of School) for permanent and associate faculty engaged in teaching the School’s postgraduate programmes
- The timetabling and allocation of teaching responsibilities for the School’s postgraduate programmes in conjunction with the Dean and Vice-Dean of Undergraduate Studies
- Fulfil the role of Subject leadership through the provision of general academic oversight across all Level 9 programmes and modules. This involves leading and advancing learning & teaching in postgraduate subject areas of the School
- Responsible for ensuring implementation of and day-to-day oversight of NCI’s QA policy and procedures for the School’s postgraduate programmes
- Will manage staff and conduct staff appraisals in line with college policy
- Will work with the relevant professional bodies associated with the portfolio of School programmes.
- Will lead and manage relevant programme development
- Lead, manage and oversee the day-to-day operations for postgraduate programmes within the School
- Ensure that the views of postgraduate students within the School are appropriately acted upon
- Work collaboratively with other internal Schools and Departments
- Play a leading role in the development and management of international collaborations and partnerships
- Will take a leadership role on programme accreditations
- Attend and contribute to Academic Council
- Attend and contribute to Academic Operations
- Actively participate in the development of a College Research Strategy and lead its implementation at School level.
- In conjunction with the Dean of School and Vice President identify, agree and source streams of research funding in fulfilment of the institutional research plan.
- Oversee and co-ordinate all School research activities including funding bids, publications, papers and theses in accordance with procedures and as required by the College Research Office.
- Provide oversight for the quality of all level 9 and 10 theses to ensure continuous improvement of the standard of research being produced.
- Work with faculty in the School to develop individual research strategies and action plans.
- Liaise with the Vice President on research matters.
- Represent the School and take an active role on the College Research Committee.
- A PhD qualification is essential
- Evidence of subject expertise in a business discipline
- Evidence of research output and a personal research strategy
- Evidence of success in innovation in learning, teaching and the curriculum
- Evidence of leadership and management in an academic environment
- Clear understanding of the demands on a modern School of Business (i.e. quality of provision, attractive and relevant portfolio, income generation, accreditations and research)
- Ability to contribute to the development of School and College strategy
- Evidence of resource management
- Commercial acumen
- A willingness to travel
Salary Band: Senior Academic & Managerial €68,340 - €96,480
Annual Leave: 34 days per annum
Hours: Full time 35 hours per week
Application Process: To apply, please e-mail your cover letter and CV, quoting reference number: NCI0732 and title of position to: email@example.com by Monday, 2nd October 2017.
The successful applicant will be subject to Garda Vetting and must not have any convictions under the Sex Offenders Act 2001.
The functions and responsibilities assigned to the Vice-Dean, Postgraduate Studies & Research – School of Business are based on the current stated position and objectives of the College. These functions and responsibilities may alter in line with any change in the role and objectives of the NCI to be agreed by way of amendment to the Job Description.
National College of Ireland is an equal opportunities employer.