Mathematics Qualifying Examination for NCI Data Science Programmes
NCI will be holding a Mathematics Qualifying Examination for applicants for the Level 8 BSc (Hons) in Data Science and Level 6 Higher Certificate in Data Science programmes. These programmes require a minimum of grade H5 in Higher Level Mathematics.
The purpose of the Mathematics Qualifying Examination is to offer the candidates an alternative route to achieve the minimum entry requirement of H5 in Maths. The Mathematics Qualifying Examination will be set at a similar standard as the Leaving Certificate Honours Mathematics examination.
Candidates will become eligible for entry to the data science programmes if:
- They pass the Mathematics Qualifying Examination (this will replace their Leaving Cert Maths result)
- Achieve the minimum entry points for that year
- Meet the additional requirements of the programmes (i.e. a grade H5 and above in two higher level subjects together with a minimum of O6 in four other subjects to include English for BSc (Hons) in Data Science programme; a grade of O6/H7 or above in five subjects to include English for Higher Certificate in Data Science programme)
Applying for Data Science at NCI:
If you are considering applying for data science programmes at NCI and are concerned that you are not studying Higher Level maths or may not achieve the required grade, you can now undertake our mathematics exam as an alternative way to meet the maths requirement.
NCI runs a preparatory course to help students prepare for the Mathematics Qualifying Examination. The course is free of charge.
Please note that admission to the preparatory course is limited to students who have applied for our data science programmes through the CAO.
Course and Exam Dates
Dates for the preparatory course (tutorials), exam and results are below:
- Tutorials: Monday 12th to Wednesday 14th September 2022
- Exam: Thursday 15th September 2022
- Results: Saturday 17th September 2022
The tutorials will run from 9am to 4pm, the time of the exam will be specified during the preparatory course.
How to Register
Please email our School Liaison Officer Karen Campbell firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Studying Data Science at NCI
Dr. Arghir-Nicolae Moldovan, Programme Director of the BSc Honours in Data Science at National College of Ireland, discusses the structure of the course, the benefits of studying data science, the employment opportunities the course offers along with the support the college provides for our students.
Visit the course page to find out more about studying data science at National College of Ireland.